Monday, October 3, 2011

The End of the Line - Time to Reorder!

We usually purchase our meat in bulk from a local butcher, and with all good food storage we try to use the number one rule of "first in first out"!  Well this turned out to be a real eye opening experience.  When we purchase our meat order the shop sells it as the 30- Day Family Package.  As the title says it is suppose to last a family of four approx. 30 days or so, but usual last us at least 2 months sometimes longer and we have a lot of mouths to feed around here. Well the last 6-8 months we have been "rotating" the new to the bottom of the pile in the freezer and the older to the top for first use, but this summer our upright freezer was needing to be defrosted and cleaned for the year, so I in all my wisdom (being sarcastic here) decided we would just postpone our meat order till we had eaten all the meat previously purchased and start fresh with this order.  I thought it would take maybe two weeks or so, but believe it or not, we are 6 weeks into this project and we are down to our last five meals!  Now I will say this has worked wonders for our food budget, but considering we are "preppers" (people who prepare for the worst and hope for the best) here I'm ready to see a busting full freezer again!  Call me crazy, but a full freezer and pantry make me feel safe.  I know whatever happens, I can still feed my family.

On the menu this week:

  • Pork Shoulder Roast - We will cook in the rotisserie and shred for pulled pork sandwiches, etc. 
  • Cube Steak- Depends if I'm cooking or Racey! If it's me then of course it will be fried with gravy, homemade mashed potatoes, hot biscuits and I'll find something green to throw in there just so I don't feel guilty for being a true southern cook at heart! (I feel someone smiling down on me =) )
  • Chicken- Who knows maybe I'll do a Poppy Seed Chicken Casserole...yum!
  • The Pink container is Vegetable Beef Soup from the other day, I froze half for later...it's later!
  • Chuck Roast - I'll finish the week off with an easy but wonderful beef roast
Not a bad menu considering it's the last of the last!  I remember the days before I learned how to stockpile and prepare when the last of the last was Top Ramen Noodles, a couple cans of Beefaroni, and maybe a boxed meal kit.

Don't worry I'll show you our meat order tomorrow and the before and after of our freezer on Friday!

Have a good week and enjoy this beautiful COOL air!


No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...