Sunday, January 1, 2012

Happy New Year from Our Urban Homestead

 Here on the urban homestead front it's been kinda slow these last few weeks.  I think for awhile we were learning something new each day and had more to share than any one human could listen to, so we started blogging.  At this point our energy is focused more on living what we have learned, and not caving into laziness and falling back into the convenience trap.


With the holidays being the busy time they are this has been a challenge, but all in all we've stayed true to our core values and came out on top.  I find the two major areas that tend to get out of control are gift lists and food.  Our gift list wasn't very long but did have a handful of family on it and all but one gift was made by hand in our home.   However, since I wasn't out shopping all day like in years past I was able to avoid the fast food dinner trap.  On Christmas day I realized I didn't have any Bisquick and McClane had specifically requested sausage balls as one of our menu items.  I have a recipe for homemade Bisquick, but like most moms on Christmas day, I was too busy cooking to fool with it.  Racey offered to go to Walgreen's and grab a box along with crackers to replace the ones he ate on accident so I figure what the heck... it's Christmas day for crying out loud!  As you can imagine, they didn't have any so I was forced to take the time to make it myself and I'm glad I did.  It was so easy and only took less than ten minutes start to finish, which was less time than it took Racey to put his shoes on and drive to the store.  In my rush I forgot to take pictures of the 'Homemade Bisquick' so here are the directions.

10 c. all-purpose flour
1/3 c. baking powder
1/4 c. sugar
4 tsp. salt
2 c. shortening, that does not require refrigeration
 
Combine all ingredients except shortening in large bowl. With pastry blender cut in shortening until mixture resembles coarse crumbs. Store in airtight container, up to 6 months. Use as you would any other baking mix. Makes 12 1/2 cups.
 
May the New Year bring you and your family many blessings and may you grow in strength and knowledge!



No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...